Providing more than 4.5 million Californians with access to high-quality, affordable health care.
Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians access high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meeting the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as corporate citizens.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, the best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we strive to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The Provider Partnerships and Network Management team supports internal and external value-based processes, including operations management, vendor management/oversight, and program and project management support for various new Health Reimagined, Provider Partnerships, or other internal stakeholder solutions development within the value-based physician reporting and performance data platforms. The Program Manager, Principal – Value-Based Operations will report to the Senior Manager. In this role, you will manage programs/projects from initiation through delivery for new functionality within the value-based physician reporting and performance data platforms such as new payment models, or other internal products, programs, or administrative systems. Additionally, this role will oversee the work to perform, organize, and streamline operational tasks to reduce the potential for errors. You will provide technical assistance to internal and external stakeholders, including providers and their staff, and lead the resolution of escalated value-based issues or problems, taking immediate action where possible. This role will interact with internal and external stakeholders to resolve problems and provide information. Oversees plans and directs schedules as well as budgets. Organizes activities and interdepartmental meetings; ensure communication and change management tasks are complete. Facilitates completion of the program/project on schedule and within budget constraints. Applies Agile (SCRUM) or Waterfall methodologies to all programs and projects. This position will exercise independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
In this role, you will:
- Operate at a strategic business level to ensure projects/programs are in line with Blue Shield of California strategic goals
- Consult with all levels, including senior management, make recommendations, and influence decision-making. Initiates enterprise planning and related internal project management procedures as required.
- Leverage cross-functional internal and external relationships to drive initiatives forward
- Plan and implement multiple and extremely complex projects/programs spanning across business areas
- Determine key business issues, develop effective action plans and implement to a successful conclusion
- Value-based physician reporting and performance data platform operations management, including oversight and direction to the operational team.
- Proven ability to determine key business issues, develop effective action plans, and implement to a successful conclusion
- Monitors project milestone delivery and potential impact on cross-project dependencies.
- Ensures risks have mitigation or contingency plans in place
- Creates stakeholder analysis and communication plans
- Communicates with and influences stakeholders functioning in a matrix environment
- Resolves issues appropriately as needed for expedited resolution
- Develops program status dashboard reporting, monitors, and reports on the status
- Other duties as assigned
Your Knowledge and Experience
- MBA Degree and seven years related experience and training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Substantial knowledge of the critical components of project management (e.g.-scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communication, risk, integration) and associated tools and methodologies
- Able to function independently and produce results that meet standards of quality, timeliness, and acceptability. Receives minimal supervision and general direction
- Strong ability to process verbal and written information from various sources and “connect the dots” to identify 1st and 2nd level operational implications of a change request or proposed enhancement
- Ability to understand the context of the situation and develop an action plan accounting for both the short- and long-term vision of the value-based platform and the larger Blue Shield of California vision
- Known for having a problem-solving style that’s balanced between “analytical” and “intuitive.”
- Ability to thrive in ambiguous situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of executives, directors, managers, and subject matter experts
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with key stakeholders
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Excel, Word, Visio, and PowerPoint in preparing and making presentations to various levels of management. Proficient at using MS Project
- Technically proficient having a broad background in problem-solving tools
- TQM, Six Sigma certification, or Project Management certification preferred
- Knowledge in developing and implementing company-wide, organizational development or process improvement programs
- Knowledge of Blue Shield of CA or similar health care organization structure
- Subject matter expert in sophisticated, best-practices organizational development, process improvement, or project management processes
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to successfully interact with all levels of management
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience. May have deep knowledge of project management
- Demonstrated experience managing vendor relationships
- Experience managing organization change and subsequent communication needs
- Demonstrated experience creating multi-year program roadmaps, facilitating project planning activities, and developing and implementing tools and processes to manage and track the performance of strategic initiatives
- Demonstrated “systems thinking” ability for innovation and creative development
- Demonstrated experience in developing a dashboard and executive-level reporting
- Comfortable with taking notes to live during meetings that relay accurate and succinct information
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a virtual team and adapt to a culture of learning and innovation
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we’re going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short.
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes.
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals.
Office Environment – roles involving part to the full-time schedule in Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork – Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of the workday.
Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
Program Manager, Principal – Value-Based Operations
To apply for this job please visit bsc.referrals.selectminds.com.